Saturday, December 26, 2009

BUY ME A PONY...






For some unimaginable reason the bods who set the festive television menus seem to think that Will Ferrell in Elf will ignite our holiday passions.

Fools!

If you want to dream and create and wonder and swoon, it's all about The Thief of Bagdad. This "Arabian Fantasy in Technicolor" from 1940 that was designed by Vincent Korda and features costumes by the dandy master Oliver Messel and Vogue illustrator Marcel Vertès.

This NYE, I'm all going to channel June Duprez's Princess in blue and gold lamé harem pants and bejewelled veil. Heck, I might even sniff a blue rose (it makes one forget everything apparently, just the ticket for a wild night). Hopefully my Prince will arrive to rescue me on his borrowed flying carpet, if that pesky giant genie doesn't stop him. Or perhaps he might steal the Sultan's flying horse to take me, and my so-hot-right-now harem pants, for a crazily beautiful sky ride? Shhh....don't wake me. I'm enjoying this dream...

Don't know about you, but I've always got time for a pony. Because we are friends and I don't believe in secrets between buddies, I don't mind telling you that my husband bought me three candy-coloured plastic ponies with comb-able manes for Christmas this year - do you think he was trying to tell me something? If so, what? Maybe he heard me talking about Ralph Lauren's pink motif and got confused. But I digress. Point is, there is the most fantabulous scene in The Thief in which the evil usurper Jaffa (no cake, he) tries to distract the Sultan from his passions for his daughter (Jaffa's passions, that is) via the production of a magnficient mechanical white horse. Wind him up (the gee-gee, not the usurper), and he gallops high into the sky o'er the pastel hued domes of the rooftops of Arabia.

Giddy up, I say.

Now turn off bloody Elf and let your spirits fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment