Sunday, March 28, 2010

CRY IF I WANT TO


I loved Mia Freedman's column in the Sun-Herald's Life magazine yesterday. It's not because I'm an uber bitch with a schadenfreude complex that I warmed to the picture of Freedman - super mum, super journo, super at lipstick - sobbing in a car park because she was late and had hurt her finger. But because that's what happens in the real world - take it from one who spent that very afternoon in Bedlam-worthy hysterics on the side of the road because there was a spider in the car.

So why the surprise at seeing Freedman's wobbly humanity in print? Because our surface driven, image obsessed world is one in which, increasingly and relentlessly, perfection (or at least the idea of it) is what counts the most. Weakness and imperfection signify loser-dom at best (craziness at worst) and no one wants to own up to that in the Sunday papers. We'd no more admit to crying over spilling milk than we would to Botoxing wrinkles or coveting a tit job.

We are not encouraged to talk, or write, about our failures and fears. And we certainly mustn't blog about them! Your online life can come back to haunt you if you ever run for President...

Well, guess what? I don't want to be leader of the free world. I cry in car parks all the time. I cry when spiders jump on my face when I'm in traffic. It might make my make-up run, but it also makes me normal.

Go Cyndi Lauper, I say:

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
You would cry to if it happened to you

Nobody knows where my Johnny has gone
But Judy left the same time
Why was he holding her hand
When he supposed to be mine?

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
You would cry to if it happened to you

Play all my records,
Keep dancing all night
But leave me alone for a while
'Till Johnny's dancing with me,
I've got no reason to smile

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
You would cry to if it happened to you

Judy and Johnny just walked trough the door
Like a Queen with her King
Oh what a birthday surprise,
Jude is wearing his ring

I't my party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
You would cry to if it happened to you

Ooooh
I't my party and I'll cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
Cry if I want to
You would cry to if it happened to you

No comments:

Post a Comment