Thursday, April 15, 2010

Museworthy: Doris Zinkheisen, 1898 - 1991


When I found out that Doris was still with us in the early 90s, I cursed that I was too busy being a school girl to notice. Can you imagine anything more fabulous than interviewing Doris? I can't.

Doris was one of two starry sisters (her sister Anna was a painter) who cut up 1920s society with their vibrancy and talent. Dorothy, with her shining helmet of ebony hair and Vogue-worthy profile, was a friend of Noel Coward, a costume designer who worked her magic on the 1936 film Show Boat, as well as an artist in her own right - her super stylized paintings of socialites, ballet dancers and race meets are some of my all-time favourites. She looked startlingly chic in fringed Chinoiserie peonies, as you can see in this swish self-portrait.

1 comment:

  1. wow - she is gorgeous! and how amazing for a self-portrait. Inspiration-worthy indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete