Sunday, April 11, 2010

SOME DAY MY PRINTS WILL COME...



When I worked at Vogue, the woefully cliched headline was the copy editors' constant lament. Story about prints? "Prints Charming!" of course. Spa reviews? "Paradise Found!" Feeling like shit? "50 Ways to Glamorise Your Life!" should help. Florals are back? "Flower Power!", and on it goes.

And yet the more creative headers rarely got through. Cleo Glyde once called a yo-yo dieting story "Blow Up Doll". Genius. Needless to say that was not what ran in the magazine. No-one ever let me call a piece "Chic Happens", but the travel editor did once sneak "You Hoe, Girl!" onto a gardening page. And once upon a time there was a watch feature called "Wrist Action". I tell no lies. I guess we were tired that deadline.

Anyway, the upshot is that I can't look at a floral without inwardly cheering "Bloomtown!"; when I spy a new silhouette I'm desperate to slap "Trend Report!" in a red box on it; I'm a sucker for "The Belts, Bags and Shoes You Want Now!", and yes sometimes I actually say "New Season, New You!" Six years of indoctrination will do that to a girl...

So when the all round marvellous Madeleine came by my store yesterday to help me tape up yet more boxes of soap for David Jones, it wasn't just her generosity of spirit that cheered me (hello, it was Sunday) but the artfully blurred print on her 1950s cotton sateen pencil skirted frock. In magenta, cornflower blue and shades of iris that print, let's face it, was PRINTS CHARMING! One, at least, of 50 WAYS TO GET HAPPY!

The thing about cliches is they are cliches because they are true. If you ask me, there's nothing more charming than a splashy floral.

1 comment:

  1. love this post :)
    PS I adore the pic you are using as a header! Im assuming it is all mrs press? who was your photographer? its so romantic

    ReplyDelete