Saturday, June 19, 2010

Everything's Coming Up Roses and The Slippery Slope...






I used to be cool. It's true. Not that you'd believe it to look at me now. I used to spend the early hours of Sunday morning in bars wearing Halston. Now I spend them contemplating the garden. Yes, I have swapped the rose pink of the dawn against the King's Cross skyline for the rose pink or...er, the rose.

I am becoming weirdly obsessed with gardening books and gardening icons. The other day I re-read The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady (hello? I've read it before!). I am taking notes on Vita Sackville-West's Garden Book. Oh no! It's a slippery slope! What's next? A very important date with a crochet hook?

Maybe. Or maybe it's time to take up embroidery. As the oil gushes into the Gulf and soldiers continue to be killed in Afghanistan, through the bomb threats and the council upheavals and as Clover-bloody-Moore keeps closing down our parks, the genteel pursuits start to seem like fine escapism, no? Anyway, ladylike is back in fashion. Just ask Louis Vuitton.

Images: Marcel Vertes illustration; cover of my shame; Erte illustration; Linda Rosewall for Mrs. Press

No comments:

Post a Comment