Saturday, August 14, 2010

TEN MORE TO TAKE NOTES FROM...








This time, international gems possessed of style courage for the ages. In no particular order.

You know those non-Proust questionnaires which invariably ask you who you'd like to sit next to on Concorde? If Concorde was still flying. Well, make mine an aisle seat surrounded by each and every one of these, my all-time top favourite fashion inspirations.

10. Tilda Swinton. Wondrously eerie and androgynous whether in draped odes to Fortuny or modern-as-hell Viktor & Rolf.
9. Oh Daphne! If I could live in anybody's wardrobe for a day, it would be that of Ms. Guinness.
8. Carmen Dell'Orifice is a billion times more beautiful than starlets quarter her age. Please, miss, may I borrow those cheekbones?
7. Vivienne Westwood. Wacky and wonderful, the carrot-topped first lady of fashion craziness gets my vote.
6. Is it a bird? It is a plane? Nope, it's Anna Piaggi. I know, I know, I've said it before. But I'll say it again soon so get used to it. Anna = pure sartorial genius.
5. I've no interest in Kate Moss. Karen Elson, on the other hand, now there's a model.
4. Oh, and Freja.
3. Do you mind awfully if I have a dead one? Or is that very bad form? If not, my pick's Lisa Fonssagrives.
2. Debbie Harry. The best rock chick. Ever
1. Natalie Portman. Just because she's elegant and cute in a sea of slutty Hollywood blondes.

Images, from top: Freja Beha Erichsen in Harper's Bazaar; Blondie; Karen; Viv; Carmen on the catwalk; Daphne in Vogue.

2 comments:

  1. Without sounding like a SWF (I'm sure you can work out that abbriev), your taste mirrors mine. Or mine yours. It's creepy but true. From tulle to Daphne to Piaggi and back-again, it must be said, I know where your shop-front is.
    Again, yours in the least scary form of flattery.
    TTGB
    totheglamourborn.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Clare,

    I think I like your husband! You see, I'm the author of "What To Do When You Become The Boss" and it's great to see that someone thinks it's a good present (not the first, I might add).

    I really like your comment, "Resolved to strive to be calmer and more lateral in my thinking and nicer and smoother (and younger and thinner)" - makes me think I should put something about that on the jacket for the next edition. I've just been interviewed for a women's health magazine, so there could be something in it.

    On a more serious note, I trust that you find the tips in the book useful as I tried to base it on good common sense ideas and avoid too much corporate speak.

    All the best with managing (sounds like you are already pretty good, and at managing your husband too).

    Kind regards

    Bob Selden,
    Author "What To Do When You Become The Boss"
    http://www.whenyoubecometheboss.com/

    ReplyDelete