Tuesday, July 12, 2011

INSPIRATION FILES #24 GREAT GATSBY



Oh, the highs and lows. I've always adored this novel, and its unparalleled evocation of 1920s glamour; the romance, the tea dresses, the whole idea of Daisy dancing in the moonlight on the beach. Thus I am A) gutted that the original house said to have inspired F. Scott Fitzgerald has been torn down (why, why, WHY let them? They are going to build five horrid modern houses on the land - cretins!) and B) thrilled that Catherine Martin is set on recreating the movie magic here in Sydney.
Bring on the flapper styling.

Pics: Grace Coddington's divine extravaganza pulled from The September Issue; Mrs. Press 'Gypsy' dress from S/S'11/'12; goodbye beautiful house.



3 comments:

  1. Oh, very interesting! That is one movie I'd love to see :-)

    I have a few pics up of our wedding on my blog -- including my sequin Mrs Press bolero. Thought you may like to take a peek :-). Possible feature in cosmo brides too!

    Sal x

    http://danielandi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the sort of thing I'd expect to happen in Sydney. It makes me want to weep that they'd destroy such a romantic old lady with literary connections for ghastly modern houses. And yes, CM will sparkle at recreating the era. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Cm will do a fantastic job, she may even put some of my fabric designs in too!!!

    ReplyDelete