Monday, November 28, 2011

What Goes Around Comes Around

I can't believe it's nearly Christmas again.It feels like only five munites ago it was last December and I was packing gift boxes myself with as many friends as I could bribe in a dusty airless warehouse under the gun and generally freaking out because deadline was looming and if we missed it we'd miss our chance to be successful and blah blah blah. And all this on the back of the busiest November imaginable, during which I'd styled more than 60 photographic setups for my book in less than 3 weeks while trying to design a summer collection and run a storewith a duplicitous assistant, and pay the bills with no money. Last year my cleaner sacked me because my house was too messy. Last year I was frazzled.

This time last year; life was bloody hard. But the one thing you can rely on in life is that it goes on and if you don't fall apart you get on with it, and then one day you wake up and the sun is shining and  someone says somehting sweet to you and everything seems very lovely after all.

I hope my dear friend C. will feel this way one day soon. Because last year after I'd gotten through all the hard work, when finally the holidays came,  I remembered how lucky I am to have any of this. To have friends, and a business and love and opportunity and health. And my friend and I were planning our New Year's Eve outfits and drinking champagne and dancing and laughing and feeling blessed, and all was right with the world. But then this year there was a terrible car accident and her darling little boy died and now none of the little things seem to matter one iota.

So much can change in a year, can't it? I'm not sure what all this means, except that it's important to make the most of things and do your best and be as kind to people as you can, every day. Which I know isn't easy. But it will be my New Years Resolution for 2012. Be as kind as you can. Make the most of every minute. Don't sweat the small stuff. Be happy when the sun shines. Ignore the mean people; celebrate the good ones. As Joni Mitchell sang so eloquently, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

1 comment:

  1. I spent ages writing a comment but lost it all :(

    I love your blog and the post above hit home to me. I have had a terrible two years, they are still going on and there have been times I have struggled helplessly with no support. My problems pale though to the loss of a child and I realise that there will be sunshine at the end of this path I am travelling along.

    Thank you for sharing this post, it has given me hope and reminded me to take each day as it comes and not to look ahead and enjoy the sun on those days that it shines down on me.

    I have a blog and it has helped me tremendously to take my mind off the difficulties I am going through and to keep it going for me growing visitors.

    Thank you for sharing, I will definitely visit again.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete