Tuesday, January 24, 2012

SPORTS LUXE, INSTYLE & CAN YOU WEAR IT TO WORK?!

Katherine Heigl from Instyle Feburary, styled by Katherine Green, photographed by David Gubert

J'adore the stunning new Katherine Heigl cover of Instyle, don't you? And even more the fab pic of her inside lounging about on that Cecil Beaton-esque striped divan in that jaunty cruise number.

Elsewhere in this issue, in my Ask Mrs Press column, I tackle a thorny question sent by a reader:


I like the sports-luxe look, but can it work in the office or is it too casual?
Hmm, can't imagine Ms Heigl in her zip up parka in the board room. In truth, being a dress girl, the whole sports-chic thing has me scratching my head. Mind you, if you ask me it has Mr Wang doing similar as I was hard pressed to find a sports-luxe look in his Pre-Fall 2012 collection which was more about school girl tailoring and textured grey lace. Anyway...

Here's my answer:
That rather depends on your definition of sports-luxe! Designer gym gear is clearly off the work menu, and my personal bugbear is wearing running shoes with your suit to walk to work in – what’s wrong with ballet flats? You’re not invisible on your way to the office, you know! But I digress. As for the sporty trend in high fashion, there are pieces that can work in the office - I like the idea of a deconstructed jersey blazer, for example, as a softer take on tailoring. But much of this trend is too casual for the corporate world – you won’t command much respect in your Monday meeting wearing dressed-up track pants, a racer back singlet or a cropped sweatshirt – even if they are Alexander Wang. Keep it chic at work and play at the weekend.

What does everyone else think?

Alexander Wang, Pre-Fall 2012

Alexander Wang, Pre-Fall 2012

1 comment: